Being a safety advocate and trainer, I recognize that the internet world of danger can not be ignored. Simple internet safety and protection don’t have to overwhelm us. So I am writing this for non-techy moms, like me! I highly recommend delegating anything that feels too difficult – but you know is important.
Overview of Internet Safety and Protection
- Protect your computer & data (firewall, antivirus, antispy, spam filter, timely updates, STRONG passwords, secure your wireless network).
- Protect Your Privacy (limit the info you put out there, manage your ‘cookies’, use an alternate email address for unknown contacts, ignore and delete spam completely, read privacy policies)
- * Protect Your Children Online* – yes even us non-techy moms can do this – in fact, we must (take an active interest in their online activities, teach & model online safety for them, keep communication open with them, set clear rules, use special software designed to keep your children safer).
- Shop Safely (only on secure sites https:// not just http://) (use a credit card as opposed to your debit card, shop only with trusted merchants)
- *Trust Your Instincts *(your best defense online is good judgment)
Super Simple Tips to Protect Your Data – have you done these my non-techy moms?
- Install a firewall
- Use antivirus software
- Install anti-spy software
- Always use spam filters
- Do timely updates
- Use STRONG passwords – keep them random and meaningless
- Secure your wireless network
- Take internet safety and protection seriously
6 Tips to Protect Your Privacy for Non-Techy Moms
- Limit the info you put out there.
- Manage your ‘cookies.’
- Use an alternate email address for unknown contacts.
- Ignore and delete spam completely.
- Actually, read privacy policies.
- Use Duck, Duck, Go for your search engine
Protect Your Children Online – Internet Safety & Protection
- Take an active interest in their online activities
- Teach & model online safety for them
- Keep communication open with them
- Set clear rules
- Use special software designed to keep your children safer – if you have a favorite, please share in the comments!
Shop Safely Online – Funny, how us non-techy moms love to shop online!
- Shop only on secure sites https:// not just http://
- Use a credit card as opposed to your debit card
- Shop only with trusted merchants
- It is best to not allow merchants to store your credit card information
All in all, we need to trust our instincts, online an IRL!
Truly, our best defense online is common sense and good judgment. So, yes, we non-techy moms can and must practice internet safety and protection.